Buck Meadows

    • Buck Meadows was originally called “Hamilton’s Station” and was named suchfor Ivah and Johannah Hamilton back in 1874. It was a stage stop on theway to Yosemite and its “claim to fame” was having the coldest drinks inthe area.–the cold courtesy of nearby natural springs.


    • The area was renamed Buck Meadows in 1916 and was soon bustling because ofthe building of the Hetch Hetchy Dam. A construction camp was here for theseveral hundred hard rock miners working on the railroad tunnels.


    • Today Buck Meadows is still a great place to stop off on the way toYosemite. It’s about half way between Groveland and the Yosemite gateright on Highway 120.



Leave a Comment